Monday, June 3, 2013

Stop being so sensitive


I’m confused.  Someone needs to issue a rulebook when it comes to dealing with politically correct issues like homosexuality.  Indiana Pacers basketball star Roy Hibbert parenthetically inserted the term “no homo” into an answer to a question about his play in the NBA playoffs.  The term is supposedly used when one makes a comment that may lead one to infer something homosexual only to ensure that he is not.  For example, a typical use of the phrase would be "I absolutely love flowers (no homo) but my favorites are tulips."

Hibbert incurred the wrath of the PC world and was fined $75,000 by the NBA.  Granted, part of the fine was for referring to members of the media as mother f-ers because they hadn’t covered the Pacers to Hibbert’s liking but it was the “no homo” comment that caught the most attention.

You see, I always thought the term “queer” was offensive to homosexuals until I heard about the TV shows Queer as Folk and Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, not to mention the organization Queer Nation.  Of course, were I, as a straight guy, to refer to someone homosexual as queer I’d probably be castigated like Roy Hibbert.

The term “fag” is apparently appropriate in certain cases, like the “Million Fag March” put on by homosexual activists each April.  However, if you use the term “faggot” like actress Amanda Bynes did in a tweet, then you hear about it from transvestite RuPaul.  RuPaul tweeted, “Derogatory slurs are ALWAYS an outward projection of a person’s own poisonous self-loathing.”  This from a guy who’s made a career out of dressing up like a woman.  Bynes shot back, “My dad is as ugly as RuPaul.  So thankful I look nothing like you both!”

I’m sure she’s in more hot water for dissing RuPaul than her own father.

Here’s the deal.  If homosexuals want to be treated like everybody else – and most I know do – stop being so overly sensitive about everything.  If your contention is that homosexuals are no different from anyone else then stop freaking out any time someone says something you perceive to be offensive.  I've never taken offense by the term "breeders," which is what some gays call straight folks.
Part of fitting in is not having a hissie-fit over everything you hear.  Maybe I'll start a new TV show: Straight Ear for the Queer Guy.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment